There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Propel Magazine is a new online literary magazine featuring the work of poets based in the UK or Ireland who have yet to publish a first full length collection of poetry — showcasing exciting new poetry at an impressively high standard and acting as a free and open resource for editors, readers and curators alike.
Propel publishes six issues annually, each with a different guest editor and limited to twenty poems, with Issue One (September 2022) edited by Mary Jean Chan, Issue Two (November 2022) edited by Jeremy Noel-Tod, Issue Three (January 2023) edited by Rebecca Tamás, Issue Four (March 2023), edited by Jack Underwood, and Issue Five (May 2023), edited by Alycia Pirmohamed, forthcoming on 31 May 2023.
We accept submissions from poets based in the UK or Ireland who have yet to publish their first full-length poetry collection. We accept submissions six times a year, during one month submission windows for each Issue.
Submissions for Issue Six, edited by Karen McCarthy Woolf, are open 1–31 May 2023.
All submissions made will be read and considered by that issue’s Editor. We are unable to offer individual feedback on submissions. We will respond to submissions within six weeks of the end of the submission period.
• We do consider simultaneous submissions, but please let us know promptly if work you have submitted has been accepted for publication elsewhere. We will be unable to publish poems which have been, or will have been, published online or in print prior to the publication of the relevant issue of Propel.
• We can accept a maximum of six poems, in a single Word (.doc or .docx) document, to be considered for an issue.
• Poems must be unpublished online or in print.
• You can send one submission per submission window. If your work is accepted for an issue, please do not submit again for 12 months.
• Submissions should be in .doc or .docx format, 12 point font with page numbers and your name in the footer. We are unable to accept submissions in .pdf format.
• Please note, we at the current time we only accept and publish work from poets based in the UK and Ireland.
• We only accept and publish work from poets who have not yet published (or, as at the date of submission, are under contract with a publisher to publish) a full length collection of poetry.
For increased accessibility, if your work is accepted, we will request an audio recording of you reading the poem, to make available alongside the poem. We can provide you with technical assistance to do this if you require it, and can resolve any issues if/when your work is accepted.
If your work is accepted, all copyright remains with you as the author, however we retain the right to publish your submission in any subsequent digital & print issues or anthologies.
Please see our website for further information and FAQs.